If you are a healthy individual or a patient, or if you work in healthcare, you may realize that many options for preventative or rehabilitative care exist online. But, the top 25 free and freemium (basic services for free, charges for advanced or special features) Web apps listed here also provide means for patients and their healthcare providers to communicate online, to share health records and to collaborate for health and wellness. Additionally, doctors or clinics can tap into these resources to streamline office operations.
For Patients and Healthcare Professionals
- American Well offers consumers on-demand healthcare services through dependable and widely available communication channels. Using the Internet, digital telephony, and the latest interactive technologies, The Online Care Suite helps consumers get the care they need from their homes. But, it also requires professional use to communicate with patients and for provider-to-provider coordinated care.
- HealthVault (Microsoft) is a free account that includes personal health information that can be shared with a wide range of Web applications, EMR systems, and health and fitness devices, and with physicians, family members or others they choose. In turn, healthcare professionals can use the individual’s information to help those individuals overcome illness or injury.
- NoMoreClipboard: This online tool helps you to compile, manage and share your medical records quickly and easily, helping to forever eliminate the doctor’s office clipboard. NoMoreClipboard is recognized as one of the top personal health records on the market, based largely on their ability to help consumers compile, manage and share personal health information with physicians and other care providers.
- register4Health enables you to share your registration information with any enrolled Physician in a simple and secure manner. The information is stored in Microsoft HealthVault (see above). registeR4Health is available as a hosted solution for hospitals, physician practices and healthcare technology companies.
- SmartPHR Care Plans simplify coordinating care delivery and information sharing with multiple providers and caregivers. Use the free plan for simple needs, and a cost-base plan for multiple providers in complicated situations.
- SPINN phr keeps your family connected to each other and to your healthcare team by providing convenient access to your personal health information—anytime, anyplace. SPINN is designed to increase the quality of healthcare, lower cost and improve your family’s health by making critical information available when and where it’s needed.
- Daily Strength enables members to create and maintain their own groups or to join a group that is filled with individuals who share treatment experiences, illnesses and support. According to the site, this is the largest and most comprehensive health network online.
- DoublecheckMD is a Web app that allows patients to double check prescriptions, interactions and side effects. You also can list symptoms or abnormal lab tests to see if your drugs might be causing the problems.
- FreeMD: Dr. Stephen Schueler, an emergency room physician, will interview people who select a topic marked “Virtual Doctor” and tell them what’s wrong. Dr. Schueler helps patients decide if they need a doctor and why.
- MyMedLab provides consumers with an affordable and convenient way to privately learn about their health. When combined with an annual exam, their screenings create the foundation for health care of the future, one focused on prevention and early detection.
- Patients Like Me is the leading online community for people with life-changing conditions. Patients embrace the open sharing of personal health data because they believe that this information exchange could change the course of their disease.
- TrainingPeaks: You can make plans for your fitness through a free or premium account to help you achieve optimum health. Share these plans with your doctor to make sure you are fit enough for some activities (such as motocross).
For Medical Professionals
- AdvanceMD is an all-in-one, Web-based practice management, Electronic Health Record (EHR), and billing applications for medical practices and medical billing services. AdvancedMD recently has reduced bandwidth utilization out of its SaaS platform by 73 percent, and has achieved a 30 percent improvement in average transaction round-trip time, a measure of application responsiveness.
- AllegianceMD streamlines and manages behind-the-scene practice services, making decisions based upon your past actions. AllegianceMD claims 100-percent uptime and continual backups in a system that is HIPAA secure.
- Allscripts EHR provides physicians and staff with immediate, secure, direct access to patient information, whether in the clinic, at the hospital, or remotely. Nationwide, more than 160,000 physicians, 800 hospitals and thousands of other healthcare providers in clinics, post-acute care facilities, and homecare agencies utilize Allscripts solutions to automate and connect their clinical and business operations.
- API Healthcare recently acquired Clearview Staffing Software, expanding their products and strengthening an already efficient human capital management solution suite. API Healthcare offers a combination os schedule, time and reporting solutions to meet daily patient needs as well as the ability to process, identify, match, pay, bill and mange medical professionals.
- ChartLogic iAchieve is a CCHIT certified, complete web-based electronic medical record and practice management system. ChartLogic iAchieve is well-suited for most ambulatory settings, including any size of private practice.
- ClinicTracker was designed by clinicians and administrators to support the daily management of mental health and chemical dependence practices. The system provides fully integrated functions for EHR, intake, discharge, patient demographics, scheduling and a full suite of document management.
- FreeDOM was specifically designed to be the complete solution for smaller medical offices. It is both an EMR and a practice management system and is provided free to offices with up to three providers. Upgrades are available to MedLedger, with seamless transitions from FreeDOM.
- GMD’s e-Health Method is a Web-based, low-cost subscriber EMR, practice management and scheduling service based upon the Department of Veteran Affairs’ highly acclaimed VistA electronic health record system. It performs scheduling, diagnosis/procedure capture, claims submission/follow up and patient billing.
- ICANotes serves psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, nurse practitioners, counselors, social workers and other mental health clinicians, and is used in practices of all sizes from individual practitioners to multi-hospital systems. It is the most widely used Electronic Health Software (EHR, EMR) for the Psychiatrist and other Mental Health Professionals.
- Kareo is a Web-based practice management and medical billing software with integrated electronic claims processing that is user-friendly. Simplify the daily essential tasks of your medical office from patient records, to scheduling, and more.
- LeonardoMD is an Independent Software Vendor (ISV) creating Web-based healthcare solutions built on the Microsoft family of tools and services. There are no software installation problems, no network requirements, and the system can be accessed from any computer with a high speed Internet connection for your billing, charting and scheduling needs.
- Medical Office Online offers a Web-based application that integrates medical scheduling software, electronic medical records (EMR) and medical billing software. It’s all HIPAA compliant, too.
- Waiting Room Solutions is an award-winning, CCHIT certified, Web-based EMR and Practice Management System built by physicians. It is provided through a Software as a Service (SaaS) model, delivered on a monthly subscription basis.